Welcome to the Oakwood Study Centre
We are on the ground floor of the main school building and at the heart of the school. We are open Mondays to Fridays from 8.45 am to 3.45 pm (3.15 pm on Fridays).
We have a huge range of resources, including:
- Fiction – story books and CDs/cassettes
- Non-fiction – factual and information books
- Reference books – dictionaries, atlases, encyclopaedia etc
- Newspapers and magazines
- Computers and the Internet
- Careers Library
- DVDs and videos
Book Bugs, the Year 7 reading club, meets every Wednesday at 12.30pm. We talk about books, play games and quizzes, use computer websites and activities and have lots of fun! (And you can bring your packed lunch.) We also have Carnegie Club for year 9 and above held every half-term, everybody reads the same book and we then come together to discuss it even if the only comment is we didn't like it.
Using the Study Centre
All students in year 7 and 8 have regular reading lessons in the Study Centre with their English teachers. The IT suite (computers) and the study area (non-fiction books) are also used for lessons in all subjects. Key Stage 4 students also have their ow reserved study area, with laptop computers available. All students are welcome to come in and use our facilities and resources at break and lunchtime. Priority for the computers is always given to students doing schoolwork.
A team of student helpers work with us as library assistants – let us know if you’d like to help!
- All items must be checked out at the desk, using a student “smart” card, and returned (or renewed) by the date stamped inside
- Up to 4 items can be borrowed at a time
- Books may be borrowed for two weeks (one week for CDs, DVDs and videos)
- Items with a Reference label cannot be removed from the Study Centre
- We will charge for lost books, if they are not returned after 2 reminders