A specialist placement for approximately ten students with an EHCP for Communication & Interaction Needs.
Our CoIN Centre
Oakwood is committed to supporting students aged 11 to 16 years, including those with learning difficulties across all areas of need. The Code of Practice 2015 relates need to four broad areas of need:
- Communication & Interaction (CoIN)
- Cognition & Learning
- SEMH (Social Emotional & Mental Health)
- Physical & Sensory
Students with Communication and Interaction needs include those with SLCN (Speech, Language & Communication Needs) and those with autism. Our CoIN Centre provides approximately two places per year group for CoIN students with an EHC Plan (Education & Health Care Plan.)
These students access the majority of mainstream classes and are supported by a specialist teaching assistant where needed. In addition, they receive daily language and social communication intervention, plus weekly Speech and Language therapy, if required.
Our core offer for all students with CoIN at Oakwood includes:
- A pleasant space in ALF (our SEN building) with work stations to help self-regulate as needed.
- Special permission cards – to leave class 5 minutes early to avoid the corridor crowds; to use an individual toilet room such as a toilet for disabilities; to step out of class for a few moments; to leave class to come to ALF and to go to the front of a queue.
- Bespoke interventions - Zones of Regulation, Speechlink, ELSA, Social Use of Language Program (SULP), Elklan support strategies and more…
- An adapted timetable where needed.
- TA support in mainstream classes where needed.
- SHoC Club – Supported Homework Club for two afternoons a week with teaching assistants on hand to support.
- AS Club – Weekly lunchtime club for girls with autism.
Our CoIN Centre Offer includes all of the core offer plus:
- 2-3 weekly interventions working on language and communication.
- 15 minutes before and after school support to help with organisation, avoiding the crowds and transition between home and school.
- A CoIN Centre Keyworker for closer contact between home and school and to act as advocate for specific needs.
A CoIN Centre place at Oakwood is considered a specialist placement at a Low CoIN Centre. There are eight Low CoIN Centres in Surrey and the CoIN Centre Managers meet termly to share best practice. Students who gain a place at a Low CoIN Centre are supported to study a minimum of 5 GCSEs.
Places at our Centre are allocated by Surrey’s SEN Admissions Team. Children with an EHC Plan should have a Year 5 transition review (annual review) by the summer term of year 5 and amend the EHC Plan to state what school place they require for secondary. This would be mainstream secondary with a specialist Low CoIN Centre (Oakwood), if applying to Oakwood’s CoIN Centre. It is important that families visit Oakwood and the CoIN Centre, to ensure that the provision is suitable for the child’s learning and social needs.
Once the place has been agreed by the SEN Admissions Team, we will meet with the child’s primary school SENCo and teacher. We will also try to attend the year 6 Annual Review to ensure a smooth transition. CoIN Centre children are invited to an extra transition afternoon in addition to the taster day, to help them feel settled.
If you have any questions, please contact our CoIN Centre Manager, Mrs Jo Wright firstname.lastname@example.org